Secondary Department – Educational Opportunities
Co-Curricular Activities in the Secondary Department
Beyond the classroom, the department offers a wide range of co-curricular opportunities such as chess, sporting, the Secondary Ministry Choir and a biannual Secondary musical.
At Toongabbie Christian School we recognise that each student has different giftings and abilities and must be treated accordingly. Consequently, this applies to all students with specific needs: Gifted and Talented, and students with a range of disabilities and language needs.
We aim to differentiate for each pupil’s needs in the following ways:
- In years 7 -10 we have an Advanced Learners’ class and mixed-ability classes.
- Our teachers implement a range of pedagogies including Bloom’s Taxonomy, Contract Learning, Multiple Intelligence, “Emotional Intelligence” and explicit teaching methods.
- Before students begin at TCS we carefully read their reports and note their other achievements to prepare for their start in the Secondary department.
- If the student is currently at TCS, we will liaise with the Assistant Principal (Primary) and the Head of Stage 3.
Gifted and Talented students have a variety of opportunities. Each faculty has a range of extension and enrichment programs and experiences. External examinations in English, Mathematics, Science, Computing and Geography are regularly entered. Students in our Secondary Band are involved in eisteddfods. Students who are identified with exceptional ability have the opportunity to be accelerated in one or more curriculum areas.
- We encourage you to make an appointment to speak with Mr Warren, Assistant Principal (Secondary), to discuss particular educational needs.
- Class Teachers, Educational Support Teachers and Teachers’ Aides provide educational support for students who have government funding for students with disabilities.
- Part-time teachers support students who have difficulties with English language acquisition. Services range from one-to-one tuition to small group lessons.
- Year 9 and 10 students enjoy one hour of Sport each week choosing from a wide range of sports at or outside School.
- Competitive Inter School Sport teams play on most Tuesday afternoons with other schools in our region. Students have the opportunity to trial for inclusion in these teams.
- Depending on demand, attendance at CSSA and CIS level Gala days for Cricket, Basketball, Netball, Rugby League, AFL, Softball, and Futsal is organised.
- TCS regularly achieves outstanding results in Zone and State level Swimming, Cross Country and Athletics.
- We offer an innovative leadership development plan for House Captains.
- Our Year 9 and 10 students are involved on a biannual basis in an inter-school cultural and sporting competition event with Mt Annan Christian College.